Saturday, December 27, 2014

Day 1 of the Dawn Wall Push


My phone rang at 2:15pm today.  “We’re ready to blast and I just thought I’d call and let you know.”  I could hear the focus and excitement in Tommy's voice. 

Tommy and Kevin started up the Dawn Wall today for the last time of the season and maybe the last time ever.  Hopefully the next time they will have solid ground under their feet will be when they reach the top of El Capitan, which could take them 2+ weeks.  

They made it through pitches 1-5 solidly today, and will put in another big day tomorrow, ideally climbing through pitch 9.  Tommy said the weather is looking great with cool temps hopefully allowing them to climb in the sun.    

It's been a long journey, and I think we are all ready to see Tommy and Kevin finish this thing.  Send your good vibes to the guys as they battle their way up the 32 pitches of up to 5.14+ climbing.

  
Here Tommy climbs pitch 5 in the spring a few years back.  Today this pitch was Kevin's lead and apparently pretty wet.   

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! I'm publishing a book, "Yosemite: Nature & Culture," this year with Reaktion Books in London. Rather than use some other rock climbing photo, I'd really like to find a good photo of Tommy and Kevin's climb. I found a photo in The Coloradoan that you took at this URL:

    http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/outdoors/2015/01/05/estes-parks-caldwell-climbing-el-capitans-dawn-wall/21307327/

    Could I get a large JPEG or TIFF of this image for my book? Or some other similar shot? If you could email me about this, I'd really appreciate it!

    Kate.Ogden@stockton.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca. My publisher says the photo I found online is big enough, but I'd still love to hear from you about my using it. kate.ogden@stockton.edu

    ReplyDelete


  3. This information you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!, Thanks for sharing such a great blog..Keep posting.

    Packers and Movers Vellore Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u for sharing this useful information.... and if u want to move ur house holds safely and without damage.. than contact us. and visit this..

    Movers and Packers in Ahmedabad
    Movers and Packers in Haldwani
    Movers and Packers in Mundra

    ReplyDelete